We talked last week about Rhabdomyolysis. We have eased into our programs fairly well, but we are taking steps up each week, so I think it would be best for everyone to at least be aware of Rhabdo and what to look for. Here is an article from the CrossFit Journal that can help . . .
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/38_05_cf_rhabdo.pdf
Also, here are a few stories from people who have experienced it first hand . . .
1. "My first (and hopefully last) exposure to rhabdomyolysis was in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. It was an average day, not hot and not humid. Our exercise began early and I finished early. A "rushing" sound developed in my eardrums, as if I had a seashell pressed against my ear, and assumed it was just sweat in my ear canal. I woke up in an ambulance many minutes later and then again in the ER. Sore couldn't even describe how my body felt. It hurt to even think about moving. For a few minutes after waking I could not remember who or where I was. Three days of I.V. fluids and I was back in action building myself back up to normal. I didn't realize until recent just how close of a call I'd had. "
2. "It would be silly to think that ballistic stress to a high degree is without risks. Most risks are usually of an injury nature. But you have to keep in mind there are plenty of conditions that one can create by over doing it. Many who are on supplements, do not take in enough water or good nutrients, haven't had enough sleep all put you at more risk while doing ballistics activities. Though there is no direct correlation that we know of creatine increasing your risk for exercise induced rhabdomyolysis, there is a correlation that supplements causing water loss or diuretic effects will increase your risk not just of rhabdo but also hyponatremia, neuromuscular dysfunction and even metabolic acidosis.....the thing one should consider is do yourself a favor and use common sense when you exercise, make sure you use rest and proper nutrition if you are going to take your body to the brink of hell and expect to bring it back."
3. "I wish I had read this article before my hospitalization for rhabdo. I thought I was in shape and had been Crossfitting beforehand and took a long break. Like it was mentioned in the article, my ego got the best of me! I am 42, and was scoring high in the Army APFT and got back into Crossfitting too fast and too hard. I started on a Tuesday and by Thursday's workout I was hurting but kept going. That night my back felt like it was trying o curve up to my head and I could not move my legs. Then real pain hit...everything hurt beyond explanation. I had to call a friend to pick me up and drive me to the ER. I was urinating dark red/brown urine and in utter pain. They hit me with 3mg of diluadid and it did not even touch the pain. It was so bad I was throwing up from the pain. I was released from the hospital and sent home. I was back in the ER on Saturday and again they misdiagnosed me and sent me home with painkillers. I was swelling up so much I could not put on my pants. Monday morning I went to the TMC and passed out there. Finally someone listened to my description and after blood and urine tests I was sent to the hospital and entered into ICU. Normal CK (creatine Ketone) levels are roughly between 100-150...mine was over 40,000. I spent 5 days hospitalized (3 in ICU), they had me on a morphine drip along with dilaudid shots and percocet and plenty of IV therapy. It's been 2 months since that episode, and I am still recovering. My lower back is completely numb from just above the sacrum to halfway down my buttocks. I am back trying to run again and it is a painful process. No one should jump in to a full workout just because they use to do it. I've learned my lesson and I hope no one has to go through rhabdo...work up to it and recognize the symptoms. If you do happen to get symptoms and go to get medical help, let them know what you are feeling and to conduct tests to rule out rhabdo or catch it early on...5 days with acute symptoms is a very painful experience and you can seriouly be hurt with renal failure or a myocardial infarction."
Better for us to know about it and avoid it, than get it and have no idea what we are experiencing.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's it, I'm out. I mean, I like to be fit and all, but I also have an affinity for living. No, but seriously, I don't think we're in danger of this because we take good intermediate steps and work our way up.
Post a Comment